Family

Family

Sunday, July 20, 2008

Our new pet....for about 12 hours....

Last Wednesday I took the kids out to the lake for a few hours and while Morgan was sleeping Deaven, Peyton and I kayaked over to "Sandy Beach". It's just a short distance away, but the water is warm and there are lots of salamanders. We quickly caught one and made a little wading pool for it on the shore.
And then we decided that we would take him back with us in the Kayak to our waterfront. Deaven just held on to him and frequently dunked him over the edge of the kayak (which was hysterical).
And once we were back at the house, the kids starting saying that they were his "parents", asked if I would be "Grandma" and LOVED this thing to death (well, that actually came the next day....).
So I got the not so bright idea to try to take him home and try to keep him alive until we returned to the lake on Saturday. Don't get me wrong, I was immediately dubbed "Mother of the Year" by my kids. Deaven kept asking me if I would love him like a real son. The best was when Deaven said, "Let's name him Slimmy, because all the Hayes boys are slimmy!" So we successfully got him home, into a big bucket, looked him up on the Internet and everything, but the next day didn't go as well. Will and I left for most the day to go to the Temple, and when we got back, the Salamander had died in the bucket because of how much the water had warmed up. Bummer. Suddenly the joy turned to sobs of heartache for Slimmy the dead Salamander. Oops!!! Lesson learned.

5 comments:

Momma Sarah said...

Oh, how sad. But how cool of a Mom are you! Salamandars definitely make cooler pets than birds in your dryer exhuast vent!

Lutz Family said...

Thank you for the post! Some of my favs with you are... SWING dancing, community lollipops, creek walking, Ropes activity at LA DA SA, last Judson concert, Boys boys BOYS (yes, yes before marriage!!)and of course, good old Kermit. Do you know what keeps playing over and over in my head? "Well, it's time for moving on my friend..." LOL Love you FOREVER :)

Krissy Lowe said...

That sounds like such a fun day! So sorry to hear that he didn't make it. But I love that you can see the dirt under your little one's fingernails- signs of a true boy.

Crystal said...

yes, the text message incident will live in our hearts forever! LOL. ;) love it!

and i'm gonna have to get mitch to write on here. i bet he'll have some good ones for you!!

and poor little slimmy. he was cute. may he rest in peace. :-(

Michael + Anna Costa Photographers said...

I love salamanders! Frogs too! :)

Michael