Family

Family

Sunday, October 24, 2010

FHE Lessons and Cookies!

The kids did their annual Primary Program today at church. They did a great job. It's always such a great program. I am so grateful for the kids teachers at church. Heaven knows we need all the help we can get.

Here are two Family Home Evening lessons. One from last week on Pornography (that my amazing friend Dennese tipped me off on) and the other we are doing tonight as our PRE-Halloween lesson.

I wasn't sure how the pornography lesson was going to go honestly. My kids are still pretty young, BUT research shows that the average age a child is exposed to pornography is 11. My son is 10. Sadly, the world teaches lots of unhealthy, disrespectful attitudes about sexuality and it's our job as parents to make sure our kids process all the info properly. Human intimacy is one of the most beautiful things, but as with most things, it must also be respected and can be used for selfish and unhealthy appetites. This lesson was super child friendly (and I plugged some even more age appropriate stuff into it for Peyton who is only 7 but also needs to learn about modestly and they way she carries herself). Thanks again to Dennese for tipping off to this site:

Pornography FHE Lesson

The lesson we are doing tonight is called "Trick or Treat" since Halloween is coming.

We are going to talk to the kids about how during our life Satan will sometimes offer us TRICKS while Jesus will always offer us TREATS. We will read lots of 2 Nephi 9 that talks about the different ways they do this. We will then play a game where the kids get to turn over cups," trick or treating". The treats will have an M&M with a slip of paper talking about a treat that Jesus offers us. The tricks will have no treats and a slip that talks about a common trick that Satan uses to fool us.....such as tempting us to make a bad choice when someone else makes us angry.

We also made Pumpkin Cookies today that are super yummy! They are ridiculously easy. I got the recipe from my aunt. I am normally one that likes to stick with a straight up Chocolate Chip Cookie, but these are pretty hard to pass up.

Here's the recipe:
1 box cake mix for either Spice Cake or Carrot Cake.
2 eggs
1 can pumpkin
Add about 1/2 bag of choc chips

Bake at 350 for 8:30

Hard, huh. My kind of cooking.

Quick funny story.........As part of my "Be More Available" plan, I've been taking turns some nights on taking the kids for an after dinner one-on-one walk. A few nights ago, Deaven and I were heading out, but it was raining so I had to grab umbrellas for us. When I handed it to Deaven, he said, "No thanks". Knowing my son like no other, I knew exactly what he was up to. I said, "Deaven, EVEN if you walk in the rain tonight, you STILL have to take a shower in the morning". He says, "Darn it". :)

3 comments:

The Woolf Pack said...

Those pumpkin cookies are our favorites, in fact we made them for FHE as well. We've never tried them with the eggs though, we just do the mix, pumpkin, and chocolate chips.
I love your new family pictures.

America Jane said...

So glad to hear you liked the FHE. I need to try your cookies! Yum. :)

JLD said...

I love your new pictures, too. I think the black tops and scarves on the womenfolk were a great set-up. Hurray for Hilary, too!