Will and I, for years, have wanted to write up a Family Mission Statement, but have never really gotten around to it. But last week at church, someone spoke about family "guiding principles" and that's all it took for us to get motivated again. So for family home evening last Sunday, we sat down with the kids and talked about what was important to each of us in a family. With those ideas, appropriately stated where we all could understand, we came up with the following statement. I thought it would be appropriate to put in on our FAMILY website. We also plan on dedicating our family home evenings to further discussing, learning and acting out each of these principles. Kind of a fun idea that might work for other families too! We plan on updating it every few years to best meet the needs and growth of our children, and ourselves.Hayes Family Guiding Principles
We are positive and happy.
We encourage and support each other in both word and deed.
We hug and cuddle to show affection and trust.
We have respect for ourselves and others.
We talk of Christ and we rejoice in Christ.
We are gentle, humble, polite and patient.
We use clean language.
We are grateful for what we have.
We do what we can to help ourselves and look for ways to help others.
We go to church, say our prayers, have Family Home Evening, pay our tithing and read our scriptures.
We keep our bodies, rooms and house clean and organized to invite the Spirit of the Lord.
Hayes Family-January 2008
Also, I teach in the Relief Society at church on the 4th Sunday of every month. This month the Bishop wants me to talk with the ladies about what we can do, during each and everyday, to move our marriage, our children and our families along the spiritual journey toward God. So, I am curious, what things do YOU DO in your family to nuture, prepare. love and teach each member of your family? This could conclude include ways you nurture your marriage or how you help your children feel the spirit or what you have done to read the scriptures with a young family successfully (is that possible)? The things that I am going to use from our family as examples are 1. The above statement. 2. My husband and I keep a spirial bound book of love letters to each other. I will write in the book and leave it for him to find, and then he returns the favor sometime in the future, and it's nice to have them all in one place and a good reminder of how important it is to write those loving emotions down. 3. Primary music before bed or in the car have saved me countless times.
I appreciate any suggestions at all! I know many of you have amazing homes and lives! Share you secrets! Ideas from the family you grew up in would be great too. I teach this lesson on the
27th. Thanks everyone!
8 comments:
What a great idea. We will have to do that also. Your kids say the greatest stuff. Dakota loves for me to read him things about Peyton that you right on here. Cute! Cute!
Love your ideas! We find that having family dinners every night is really important as a way to connect with one another. Thanks for sharing your family with us!
That's AWESOME!!!
Some basic things that we do are 1. family prayer; morning and night. When Jake's out of town we pray over the phone. 2. family scripture study every night before bed. I really like it!
I notice that when we are getting ready for prayer and turn off any distractions or after prayer we end up just talking forever, hours a lot of times. Often we forget to go back to our various distractions. I love it.
Hey! I took a break from "blogging" over our vacation and so it's been really fun to read all your new posts. Thanks for the birthday call yesterday - you're the nicest person. Seriously. These are great family guiding principles. You guys are a great example. Happy Birthday to Morgan!!!
hmmmm...i like libby's ideas. aside from that, i love good music. music is a great way to invite the spirit any time of day. also, since my kids are little and FHE is kind of a joke, i really like the gospel art kits that you can buy on lds.org. brooklyn and jesi LOVE books and pictures, and brooklyn already seems to have a pretty good memory of the stories we tell her when we use pictures like those. it seems to be the best way that we have found to teach our kids about the sciptures at such a young age.
good luck with your lesson!
Wonderful thought to get to share! You will do great at that!
My thoughts: It starts with my own personal relationship & growth. The best thing I can do for my family is know & love Jesus more!
Things we do as a family:
we read a proverb & pray together every night before bed. There are 31 of them so we read through the entire book of Proverbs every month.
We have talked about a scripture that is a family "motto" to live by and haven't really firmly decided one yet, but the one we like a lot is Philippians 2:1-11.
We chose a scripture that we pray over our daughter daily: Isaiah 62:1-3.
Lots of walks & a weekly date night too!
May the Lord give you all the right words to encourage these women! Blessings on this Cheyenne! Let me know how it goes.
Oops...typo...the passage we pray for our daughter is Isaiah 61:1-3 not 62 :)
Post a Comment