Family

Family

Tuesday, January 1, 2008

What I Will Miss About Having a Newborn

Unbelievably, my sweet little Morgan is going to be one in less than two weeks. We know she is our last, and so I have REALLY slowed down to enjoy every single moment of mothering a new baby. Anyone that knows me at all, knows that I live and breathe for being a Mom. I love it all. I love being pregnant (I love trying to get pregnant :)), I love giving birth, I love breastfeeding, I love the newborn stage and every stage that follows. After I had Morgan, and was holding her when she was about 3 days old, I got the strong impression to WRITE it down. Write what I love so much, or what it is I will miss as I close this chapter of my life. And so I have. I am keeping notes on every stage from birth to ??-well, I have a seven year old right now, because there are such precious moments at each stage, but I will only include my birth to 6 months, because those are the easiest to forget. Hope you enjoy! I know you all share the same memories!
(0-3months)
I will miss taking a bath with Heaven's most fresh creation.
I will miss that when you pick them up under their arms, their knees stay up, folded at their tummy.
I will miss that while waking up, they stretch with all their might, hands above their head, but their little fists only reach to about their ears.
I will miss the way they smell so amazing after a bath.
I will miss them fitting perfectly on my chest for their naps.
I will miss their little fists, staying so tightly clenched, pulled in tightly to their chest.
I will miss that in the times you need them to wake up most, they can seem to sleep soundly, despite all your harassment, and how their heads fall softly to the side, after giving up their fight to wake.
I will miss that they would willingly stay in my arms all day, latched onto my breast in perfect contentment.
I will miss softly running my fingers over that extra, soft skin my babies have on the back of their shoulders.
I will miss that reflexive smile the Heavenly Father put in place, that gives a new mom hope for days of communication to come.
I will miss the way my babies hold my finger while nursing, because of the newborn reflex to grasp.
I will miss taking small naps with them, when they are so young nothing can wake them.
I will miss that even though I am up with them at 3am, at least I know where they are at 3am.
(3-6 months)
I will miss watching them see everything for the first time.
I will miss how I can be busy doing a million things, but when I look over at my little one, they have been watching me the whole time.
I will miss those evenings that when getting fussy, my babies will try to cry, but find themselves smiling at the same time.
I will miss those days when they have first found their voice, and start cooing, and squealing at the delight of it.
I will miss those precious moments of changing a diaper, that are filled with kisses, tickles and talks of love.
I will miss that despite long bouts of crying, the moment I pick my baby up, everything is right again in their world.
I will miss that while nursing and making eye contact, my little ones have a hard time sucking and smiling at the same time.....but they always try.
I love that when my babies get excited and happy, they frantically kick their legs.
I will miss that even after it took me an hour to get them to sleep, I start to miss them if they sleep too long.

8 comments:

Michael + Anna Costa said...

okay, you made me cry...

Happy New Year!!

Jake and Libby: said...

That was way cute. Here you are finishing up and we are just getting started. When is your baby's birthday? Elizabeth's is Jan 18th.

Will & Cheyenne said...

Morgan will be one on the 13th!!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Crystal said...

cheyenne - that was beautiful! what precious moments those are. it actually brought tears to my eyes just reading it. it makes me so sad that these moments are gone so fast. i am happy to hear that you keep a journal for your children. i do too,...i think it's so important and i hope my kids will appreciate it someday. i started from the time i found out that i was pregnant with our oldest daughter, and i am so glad i did. i am scared to loose these memories of them because of the craziness of life. thank you for sharing these thoughts. i might have to copy and paste this post of yours...maybe stick it in my kids journals...it's so poetic and i feel the EXACT same way. it makes me happy to know that mitch and i aren't done yet.

sorry, that was CRAZY long, but i also wanted to tell you that i LOVE this song. i have never heard it before. very pretty.

mitch was so excited to hear from you, and i am excited to get to know you through blogging. please stay in touch!

Kris "to the" Ten said...

Cheyenne...I am so so glad you sent me a message. I too miss our sunbathing days. I cannot believe you are a mamma of 3! They sure are lucky little ones to have you as their "hot" mom. stay in touch

Daisha said...

hey there. . . nope crystal & ryan haven't joined blogging yet. Sounds like you are happy and loving life.
Daisha

The Woolf Pack said...

Wow! I loved it, you do forget quickly on those precious moments. You made me excited for us to go for a third! It is exciting to watch them grow, even if it is hard.