Family

Family

Thursday, July 28, 2011

Parenting Moment

Things are a little crazy around here right now, but I wanted to share a little "moment" really quickly.

We had a WONDERFUL opportunity to head out for a long weekend vacation to the Port Angeles area. It was one of the best trips we've had as a family for lots of reasons but something particularly touched my heart (I can't wait to post about the whole trip, but I'm swamped right now with other things and I had a picture crisis where I can't access the pics right now). Anyway.......

On the very first night of our trip, Morgan, in her life jacket, finally had the courage to TRUST that her light jacket really would keep her from sinking. I caught her sneaking a little attempt and the look on her face when she realized, "Hey, this works just likes Mommy says". She has spent her pool time on the steps unless Will or I take her out, so this was BIG news. I praised her countless times for being so brave and trying something new.

Before long, she was swimming out the the kids, venturing into the deep end and eventually even running and jumping into the pool with the other kids. I was so proud of her (and slightly relieved that should could have some more fun WITH OUT our constant assistance). I couldn't stop telling her how happy I was that she was being so brave.

A few days later, while we were at a Hot Springs Resort, she was proficiently jumping into the 10ft deep end. At one point, we were taking a little rest in one of the hot tubs and I told her again how brave she was and that I was proud of her. She then said, "Mom, what's B-R-A-V-E"?

For some reason, that really took me back. I guess I was a little sad that this whole weekend she didn't realize what I was trying to communicate to her about being "brave", but what really touched my heart was that simple reminder that I, as a parent, have the blessed opportunity to TEACH my children........everything. Kid's are sponges, and the learn constantly. How much am I invested in their learning process, not so much about their ABC's, but about Integrity, Faith, Courage, Hope and Compassion?

I am responsible for my kids right now. This time they live in our house is precious and fleeting. I must be diligent in passing all the good I can muster on to them, to help them become strong, intelligent, caring, loving adults. It's easy to breeze through our days (just keeping everyone from not killing each other or having their rooms stay clean) but I'm believe if in prayer we ask God to show us teaching moments, we will be able to better mold and shape our kids while their hearts are still soft and the minds wide open.

No comments: