Family

Family

Monday, January 9, 2012

Deaven's Gymnastics Meet

After 3 years of training and hard work, Deaven had his first Gymnastics Meet this weekend up at the University of Washington. Despite what it looks like in the above picture, he was VERY nervous.
We did everything we could to prepare him for the event.......and for competing in general.
Here is Deaven with the two Boy's Team coaches, Nan and James. They were both wonderful with Deaven.
Here is the group of kids Deaven competed with this weekend, prior to the meet.
After almost an hour of warm up time, the Teams took the floor for the presentation and the National Anthem. I cried during the anthem. Mostly out of Mother's Pride, but also because I love healthy competition. I love the intensity and pay off after hard work and I was glad he was experiencing that.
Deaven competed first on the vault. It was the farthest away and hard to get pictures of however, Deaven ran down that runway and performed the best vault he had EVER done. Way to step up to the plate under pressure!!! He nailed it, and got a 15.0!!
On to the Parallel Bars. Once again, he performed well and seemed to hit his stride with the whole "competition" thing.
I love the picture above. This shows a TON of discipline and strength. I was so proud of him.
Deaven with some of his team rooting on another kid.
We weren't allowed to use a flash on our cameras, so it was hard to get a good picture, but you can tell by his face he was enjoying himself.
High Bar was next. Once again, he impressed us with his strength and focus.

Floor has been one of the harder events for him. He's been working really hard to master it.

Um......I can't do that!!!
Next was the Pommel Horse and Mushroom. This is THE HARDEST for all the kids. Deaven actually had to lead off on this event, which is a ton of pressure.
Last was rings, which has always been Deaven's favorite.


Awesome job Deaven!!
Deaven got to stand on the podium to recognize his highest score........15.0 on vault.
We were unbelievably proud of Deaven. I am so glad he had that experience.

With that said, we have come to the family decision to stop doing Gymnastics. It was a great experience, but we all decided it wasn't the lifestyle we wanted in our family and the kids wanted the liberty to get involved with other activities. It's definitely a little sentimental to walk away from something we invested so much in.........but the time is right.

Super proud of both the kids and how hard they worked on the Gymnastics Teams!! On to new adventures!!

3 comments:

Natalie said...

Wow, buddy! All that hard work has paid off, you looked GREAT out there! Wonderful job.

Momma Sarah said...

AWESOME JOB! I have to tell ya, I totally lived my gymnastics dream through that post! Way to Go Deaven!

secwalker said...

Go Deaven!