Family

Family

Saturday, July 20, 2013

Random Summer Fun!!

 We have been packing in as much fun as possible into our days this summer (and the weather has certainly been cooperating).  Here are some random pics of other fun things we have been doing.
 We've had some great days out at the lake.  On this particular day, Deaven brought his friend, Jack, and we did some tubing and shoot of the Potato gun.

 On one day, Deaven had a "homework" assignment where he had to figure out how to get us around town using only the bus.  It was a good experience for him and we had a ton of fun doing it.
 Morgan got a new bike and has been riding it like crazy.  We were hoping to take her training wheels off this summer.....but it might be next year.  We'll see.....
 She did go for a nice long ride with me on the trail the other morning.  She made a pretty good running partner.
 This isn't the greatest picture, but this was right before Peyton and I went on the Super Loop at the Fair.  This was her first upside down roller coaster......and it even HANGS upside down for awhile.  We laughed so hard!!  She is such a gamer.
 Peyton was in drama camp this last week and they performed their play on Friday.  As always, she had a great time and did great on her performance....and made a new friend, Grace.
 This was just a random shopping trip to Costco where Morgan wanted to go as a Bunny.  Child #3......whatever, says Mom.
 One of the best parts of the summer for me has been a visit from one of my college roommates and her family, Hillary.  We had a great day playing around town and we hit the Free Tag Wall, where you are ALLOWED to spray paint however you want.  My kids thought that was awesome!

 The kids and I took this picture while we were waiting for Will to get home from his week in the mountains.  He was driving home, DYING TO SEE US, so we sent him this pic.  Gotta love Morgan.

We are having a blast this summer.  I made a deliberate decision this summer to be more of a YES Mom.  My kids are still doing chores and school work but as much as we can.......we play and deliberately spend time together.  I want to be the Mom that jumps on the trampoline, swims in the pool, plays in the water fight, snuggles in blankets to read books, .....not just watches.  I feel like I am a good Mom, but I have definitely been guilty at times of being a great Mom.........when it's convenient for me......not in the moment my child is hoping for it, necessarily.

I can feel the Lord whispering to my heart constantly that my time is precious (and fleeting) with these kiddos.  He is helping me step it up.  He is encouraging me to parent in the manner which will leave me with no regrets.  I have always felt like I have embraced every season of my kids lives......but I can feel the intensity of that growing.  Every day.......every moment with them, must have purpose.......

I love the quote........"Instead of giving your kids presents, how about you give them your presence".  THAT is a great motto for Motherhood.  Be engaged.  Be fun.  Be present.  Tell them you love them.  Hug them and snuggle.  Praise their successes.  Encourage them to learn.  Let them know you aren't perfect and that your learning new things, too.  Ask for their forgiveness when you have made a mistake.  And the big one........LOVE THEIR FATHER.  I read an article the other day that explained that several studies have shown that parents that put their kids first, are NOT better parents.  It's the parents that put their marriage first that are the better parents.

Anyway.......I'll get off my soap box now.  :)

No comments: