Family

Family

Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Priorities

Funny how some lessons you have to learn a zillion times. Let me explain. So we are reading with the kids the other night and come across this scripture:
"But before you seek for riches, seek for the kingdom of God. And after ye have obtained a hope in Christ ye shall obtain riches, if ye seek them; and ye will seek them for the intent to do good, to clothe the naked, and to feed the hungry, and to liberate the captive, and administer relief to the sick and the afflicted".
Later in the evening I was thinking that I have often skated over this scripture because I don't have a strong sense of "seeking after riches". If anything, I drive my husband nuts with my tightness with money. HOWEVER, I do seek after like a MILLION other things (blogging, fitness, racquetball, girlfriends, etc) often before I seek after the Lord. I could do so much better about putting the Lord first. And what's crazy is, I have learned, so many times, that when I dedicate a portion of my day (even a tiny one) to God, He blesses the rest of my day ten-fold. I'm more patient with my kids, they seem to get along better, I feel deeper love for my husband, I am actually motivated to clean my house, and on and on. Yet, so often I forget and some how leave my spiritual habits to the very end of the list....and then never do it. So the last few weeks, a tiny voice in my head keeps saying, "Seek First!" I think what trips my up is that for so many years, I spent some time in the scriptures and in prayer in the morning, but now, my mornings seem CRAZY! Off and running on breakfast, school, teeth, clothes, etc. I've had to realize that just because it doesn't happen first thing doesn't mean it can't happen at all. Just after I get home from taking the big ones to school, or just after I lay down Morgan for a nap.....but ya gotta make it a priority. Anyway, Seek First! Seek First and I know that our lives will be blessed so greatly. And when we do participate in the many other activities we love, there is always a way to shine light on the Lord and the goodness He can bring. One more scripture, "And verily I say until thee that thou shalt lay aside the things of this world, and seek for the things of a better".
Phew....the was long. Have a great day and Seek First my friends!

4 comments:

5Youngers said...

That's going to be my new motto -- SEEK FIRST...
Thanks for the uplift.

Leah Florence said...

Great message! I find that it is difficult to "seek first" but yet whenever I do life is that much easier. Thanks for that thought!

The Woolf Pack said...

Excellent point. I think we all get caught up with life and don't slow down to "seek first". I know that is something I need to work on...

Momma Sarah said...

Ok, I just had that 'AH-HA' moment! I may not spend those first morning moments with the Lord, but I do have other moments during the day! I will 'Seek First' and spend those moments more wisely! Thanks Chey!