Family

Family

Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Thoughts on Church Worship

On our Sunday family walk. We haven't duplicated a trail yet this year. That's how many places there are with in 10 minutes of our house. That's actually all water reflection behind me and the kids. It was so pretty.

Found this collection of karnes on the beach, which was funny because my family had just been talking about them.

The last two weeks have been crazy for us. Crazy fun and filled with family, friends and tons of activities, of which all I am grateful for. Tremendously.

Saturday night, the last of the family left and the activities were done, and Will and I felt a tiny bit of pleasure knowing that it was time to get back to a routine and have some quieter time.

We went to church Sunday morning, and I was a little taken back by how I felt. The minute the music started to play, joy-peace-love filled my soul and I started to cry (I was weepy the entire hour). It just felt good. It felt like coming home after a long trip. My heart had ached over a few things this past week, but that aching was immediately lifted.

I looked down the bench at my beautiful family and realized that in all the hustle of our regular life, all the park trips, scouts, gymnastics, school......this is what it is really all about. Coming together, as a family, united by a common goal that infiltrates our entire life. We want to be the strongest family we can be, and we know that that can be best achieved for our family by coming to church, week after week, to be reminded of how that's attained. It's completely understandable that as the week goes on, we might start to forget a bit. We get caught up in emotions, distractions, money, work, dieting, etc, but we get to put it all back into perspective at least once a week and we can try to remember what's really important just a little longer the next week.

I know many people find spirituality in many different ways. I know that I have felt close to the Lord many times away from others, often in nature, for example. But I can not deny that for me, and my life, there is support and strength I can not duplicate, when I come to worship each Sunday with my family and others who are also "just trying to make it".

There is a portion of the Lord's spirit ready for just my family each week if we come prepared to receive it. I would willing call on all the powers of heaven for protection of my sweet little angels, but it starts, for our family, at church.

Maybe there will come a day that I can maintain that level of dedication constantly, with out that Sunday reminder, but for now, in my weakness, I need it, and I am so grateful that I have the freedom to enjoy it.

Just been on my mind......

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree. I find I NEED Sundays. I am so much more content and less hurried (and healthier) when I have that time to stop and reflect. I definately can feel the difference when I haven't been able to go to church or have a sabbath.

Natalie said...

This is beautiful. Thank you for sharing.

Momma Sarah said...

Once again Cheyenne, you've summed up what I've been feeling, too. How do you get into my brain like that??

The Dunne Family said...

My heart has been aching also. I am very excited to go to church tomorrow since we have been gone for the last several weeks! Amidst all heartache it is a wonderful gift to know that the Savior is always there.