Family

Family

Saturday, August 7, 2010

Potty Training

This is a perfect reason why I love summer. Finding my kids asleep in their swimsuits on a warm summer afternoon. My appreciation of my children being asleep is something that spans the seasons (he-he) but knowing they have played their hearts out and need a quick break makes my heart smile.

So.......this week, I decided to dig in a TRY to start potty training. I say try, because Morgan is the type kid that if it isn't her "idea", then she isn't interested. If you press the point, she fights it even more. I would let her stay in diapers (which is much easier for me) but she is SUPPOSE to start Preschool in four weeks..........and she can't if she isn't potty trained.
Monday morning, I created a 'Potty Basket' made from toys from the dollar store. Something new to get her excited (because at this point, she'd already said she doesn't like M&M's and that I could go to preschool). The Potty Basket definitely perked her interested again and she was willing to sit on the toilet. We sat and sat and sat........2.5 hours passed, nothing.

I had to attend to a few things downstairs, and while Peyton was on duty, Morgan apparently finally went. Yea!!! We made a big deal about it, she got her little toy and we ran over to her Preschool to play on the playground to help her connect the two (where she immediately peed and poop her pants upon arrival).

We got one more out of her that day, which took another hour or so. Tuesday.....same drill. HOURS of no production and her telling me "Mom, my privates are closed". I tried running water, I tried everything. After another 2 hours on Tuesday morning, when I knew full well that she was just holding it back, I got a Tupperware bin of really warm water and put her feet into it. In 1.352 seconds, she started pouring. It totally worked. (Hate to admit I learned that trick watching Fear Factor about 10 years ago)
So over the past few days, we've used that trick to get her to go and found that if we just leave her with no pull up or underwear on, she will hold it until we force her to go. Yesterday, was a breakthrough and she announced on her own that she needed to go and took care of business with out any extra tools. We are up to maybe 3-4 deposits a day.......but not the big mama yet, if you know what I mean.
This is about the amount of serious attention that Morgan gives to this new task. She is just the silliest little thing, with dialog that keeps us rolling on the floor laughing. Dennese, I know these bologna pictures are going to make you vomit a little in your mouth.....sorry.
So........I feel some sense of success. It was definitely a parenting from the trenches kind of week. On top of all this, Deaven also started rubber bands on his braces, which is not very easy to deal with sometimes. Deaven and Peyton were super helpful with Morgan's potty training though. I think they remember that we promised a "No more Diapers Party" at Great Wolf Lodge once Morgan is fully potty trained.
Mmmm......I love my kiddos. They are packed full of so much spirit and personality. They are the light of my life. Throw Will in the mix and I'm the happiest person ever.
Have a great weekend!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Hmmm... no more diapers in my daughter's family. I'm feeling older already. Diapers haven't bothered me at all ... in your family.

Shawn said...

Send her over with a leash, I can do two at once. :)

Daisha said...

I love the warm water trick! I feel for your son. I'm in rubberbands for my braces right now too. This is the time you serve him milkshakes for each meal, right?!