Family

Family

Monday, February 9, 2009

Family Pictures and Goals

Okay, so this isn't one of the family pictures we took yesterday, but this does adequately describe the type behavior Morgan exhibited during the photo shoot. Deaven and Peyton....fabulous. Morgan wanted NOTHING to do with it. Amber, the photographer, was literally rolling on the floor making silly noises to get her to smile. It will be a miracle if we get one. I'll find out next weekend.

So I briefly referred to "Stake Conference" in my last post...but I guess I was unclear what that actually IS. Of course, our church meets every Sunday together, but twice a year, members from the entire Olympia area get together for some inspirational instruction, music and teaching. They are always great. The focus this time was definitely on Strengthening the Family. Here are a few things that really hit home:
  • Do all you can to teach your children, then pray that the grace of God will touch them.
  • Verbally share your testimony to your children in the home often.
  • Teach and share with your children seperately at times....they all learn differently.
  • Teach your children the value of the scriptures early.
  • Praise your children for specifics.
  • Validate them frequently.

Underlining message, we can't always control what our kids are exposed to at school or at the park, but we can STRIVE to make our homes a safe-haven where love, patience, kindness and the love of the Lord is expressed and demonstrated on a regular basis. We all fall short daily of being a perfect parent, but each day presents a new opportunity to be just a little better, to more fully seek the Lord's help in rearing our children. However, don't look over all the wonderful things you ARE doing, and the small successes that might not be seen or recognized. The Lord does see....and is grateful for every effort we make.

Back to the trenches......

3 comments:

The Woolf Pack said...

Sounds like a fantastic Conference. I am always eager to hear council on our children.
Congrats on the assistant coach for the weekend, what a treat! One of these days when we are up visiting, I am going to have to come watch you play.

5Youngers said...

What a wonderful conference. I'm always falling short as a parent but am so grateful to get to try over each new day... Thanks for the uplifting message.

Katie said...

Sounds like conference was great and family pictures were quite interesting. Hope you get a great picture!