I took a can (you could use anything like peaches,etc, but the more solid the better) stripped off the paper label, then took a hammer to it. Before FHE, I dinged it up quite a bit and put some drawings and stickers on it. I showed it to the family and asked them to DESCRIBE the can for me. They said all kinds of things like it being dinged up and it having stickers. I told them that everything they had said was about the OUTSIDE of the can.....tell me some things about the inside. They obviously couldn't (except for Dad who is a smarty pants). We concluded that since we couln't see or taste or experience what was on the inside, we had no idea for sure what it was, or even anything about it.
I then showed them this picture:
We had the same discussion that we could describe the person in much detail on the outside, but we couldn't actually tell ANYTHING about him on the inside for sure, with out "experiencing" him first. We encouraged the kids to not pass judgment on others with out making efforts to get to know them, and to do our best to only have love and compassion in our hearts for others. There is no reason for us to be their judge.Short and sweet, but it was a good reminder that we all needed.
Also, last night, this scripture really touched my heart, especially during this season of resolutions:
"All victory and glory is brought to pass unto you through your diligence, faithfulness, and prayers of faith" D&C 103:36
I take that as meaning......
Diligence : staying mentally focused
+
Faithfulness : remaining passionate about your cause
+
Prayers of faith : willingly putting your trust in the Lord
=Victory!!
I'll take some of that! Have a great day!
3 comments:
Great lesson and inspiration.
Cool FHE idea.
One quality I LOVE about you....you're consistent and diligent in all of your causes. I totally needed that scripture tonight in my sleep deprived state. Love you dear:)
Post a Comment