Family

Family

Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Lessons from Lap Swimming

This morning I hit the gym early for my swim work out. I never really look forward to spandex and goggles, but I am always glad once I'm in there. Swim work outs are a nice way to ease up the impact I normally put my body through.

Towards the end of my work out, I flipped over on my back, grabbed a kick board and kicked several lengths of the pool using just my legs (and butt.....oh, let me tell you).

What's funny though, is as I looked up to the ceiling, and even out the skylights, I felt like I was not even moving. I know that it's just because the ceiling is so far away, but it's always so discouraging and kind of a mind trip. I often have to turn to my side to look at the floating lane divider 18 inches from my face and then I think, "Wow. I am flying!!". Funny how objects right next to us move so fast, while objects farther away hardly move, yet OUR SPEED is staying the same.

This morning in particular, I had many times feeling like I wasn't moving at all (especially as the lactic acid built in my legs) and I had to look to a closer target for some reassurance to keep going and that I WAS achieving something.

It made my realize how often I do that in my spiritual life. Yes, we are suppose to look to our "eternal" reward and purposes, but let's face it, sometimes that seems SO far away that we can get discourage and lose focus. OR...........we use the things right in front of us, all our "busy" activities to give us a false sense of security that we are actually accomplishing so much, but unfortunately being "busy" doesn't necessarily mean we are improving and moving somewhere.

So which is it? Are we not moving at all, or are we lightning bolts of effectiveness? I'm thinking that the Lord wants us to keep our eyes on the long term, while setting short term goals and evaluations for ourselves.

Am I am better Mother than I was 6 months ago? Am I closer to God that I was a year ago? Am I layering things into my marriage now to take it to the next level in the coming months?

And really, we approach all areas of change this way, right? If we are trying to lose 50 lbs, you have to break it done pound by pound. Or trying to get a good grade a school, we focus on one assignment at a time.

So if we need to make changes spiritually, we need to go about it with short term goals as well, and before you know it, you can look back and see you've swam the whole length of the pool.

Hmm.........just something to think about.

2 comments:

Natalie said...

All I know is you, girl, are hitting up the gym hard, figuratively and literally, and are fit, fit, fit, again, both figuratively and literally. You go, girl!

JLD said...

That could be a nice short chapter right out of a good book... with a photo of the disoriented swimmer in spandex hat and googles. :)