Last weekend Will and I traveled to Southern California to see some family and compete at the Racquetball National Championships. It was SO GREAT to see my family and especially my Grandma and Grandpa Cusworth. I have been close to them my whole life, and to sit with them, in their twilight years, and just love on them......was very special.
Of course, you can't be 3 miles from Disneyland and NOT go, so even though we didn't have our kids, we did a day trip to both Disney and California Adventure.
So fun.....but the verdict from both of us was.....will never go again with out the kids. It just made us miss them like crazy!!
On Wednesday, we headed to the site for Racquetball Nationals. We had fun seats right next to the glass show court, which is pretty impressive at night.
Will and I both competed in a few divisions while we were there. It was a special treat for me to spend a little time with Coach Winterton, who has been helping me improve my game by virtual coaching from New York. Jim is a legend in the sport and also currently coaches the #1 player in the World, Kane Waselenchuk, who is considered the best to ever play the game. Needless to say, I try to run in elite circles.....if they let me in. I've learned SO MUCH from him and his simple belief in me as an athlete is such a blessing.
We had some good weather and some chilly weather, but we enjoyed it while we could!!
So, amazingly enough, though I lost in early rounds in the Women's Pro Draw and the US Team Qualifying, I actually came away with the Gold Medal in the Women's 30+ division. The above picture is of me enjoying a celebratory brownies....Will made me put the medal on, lol!
The final match was CRAZY INTENSE!! I was down 10-3 in the tie breaker, but just wouldn't give up. I kept digging deep and tried to choose wisely. After what seemed like FOREVER, I won, 11-10 against TJ Baumbaugh, current #11 in the world. It was by far my biggest win yet in the sport!!
This is a picture with Ruben Gonzales, who is legendary. He has been around the sport since BEFORE it even started and is now, at 59, still ranked in the Top 16 in the World. Absolutely amazing!!
It was a great season and Will and I both improved steadily through out. We are, however, very ready for a much needed break and are so ready to PARTY with the kids this summer doing some camping, rafting and hiking!! Bring on the outdoors!!
1 comment:
Congrats Cheyenne!!! I'm so impressed. :)
P.S. If you're wondering who the Taiwan visitor was on your blog that was me...I'm here with Greg on business.
Post a Comment