Family

Family

Thursday, May 7, 2009

The Pecking Order

Since the day Morgan was born, there has been a clear pecking order. Mom & Dad harass Deaven, Deaven bugs Peyton, Peyton orders around Morgan......then yesterday, I heard Morgan YELLING "Time Out, RIGHT NOW!". When I went up to where here voice was coming from.......
She was putting all our cereal boxes in time out. At least she knows where she falls in the chain of command.
This was just a quick picture taken up at the tournament last week. I played in the Women's Open final against Wanda Collins, whom I am yet to beat. Someday..... She is an incredible player and has played the sport for over 40 years.

Okay, so for my birthday a few weeks back, my Dad gave me a letter. It became one of the best presents I have ever gotten. Of course it was filled with love and praise that only a Dad could share for his only daughter, but there was tons of wisdom and guidance that I just soaked up. I have literally read it 10+ times already. So many of you that read my blog are at about the same "stage" of life as me.......30ish, young kids, busy work life, trying to keep the marriage #1, never waiver from you commitment to the Lord, etc. So some of this advice I thought was worth passing along. Since I am taking it slightly out of context, I've added a few words to convey the intended meaning. I love you Dad!

  • The desire to "improve" is a gift from the Lord. Think, ponder and pray; then be still and allow Him time to communicate with you. Don't do all the talking if you want a conversation with the Lord.
  • To everything, there is a time and a season. (Ecclesiastes 3:1-8)
  • There is always something or someone you can prepare to pray for and then do so.
  • Recognition is the first step in converting perceived limitations to goals and ultimately to attributes of success.
  • Set goals looking forward, but measure progress looking backward.
  • Remember that "progress that counts" is not necessarily about you. For example, if you have "simply continued" to provide a wonderful environment for your children's development, but don't feel like you have made any "improvement"....you have still made great "progress" by the many positive experiences you have provided the children.
  • Don't feel pressure to constantly get better at something the just needs to be maintained.
  • Stay the course. Even if life seems like one eternal round, it is a good round.

5 comments:

shawn said...

Great advice. Sometimes, not very often, I wish I had a dad, but this makes me wish for that.
PS- Jenson took lessons from Wanda, and hopefully Mady will soon too. She is such a patient, encouraging teacher.

The Woolf Pack said...

What a sweet letter from your dad, and some important wisdom.

Morgan is hilarious. I wonder if it will be the same at our house.

Taylor said...

That makes me laugh some much about Morgan's authority issues.

Also, i thought Dad's insights were great!

Taylor said...

That makes me laugh some much about Morgan's authority issues.

Also, i thought Dad's insights were great!

Michelle said...

Okay Morgan is hysterical! And I love the sweet letter, you should definitely feel lucky to have such an amazing relationship with you Dad. Thats awesome!