
This kids and I for the past 4 years have gone to Spooner Farms to self pick strawberries at the end of the school year and then make jam. My first year I was really concerned I would mess something up, and then realized how ridiculously easy freezer jam is and even I couldn't mess it up. Oh wait, I think I still did two years ago. ANYWAY, we were suppose to go last Friday but I was such a mess. And even this week, I am definitely not quite ready to be crawling around in the dirt yet, plus, I was worried they would be pretty picked over by now (the jam making women in Olympia are CUT THROAT!). So Peyton and I had to settle for buying pre-picked berries at the stand, which might have been worth the extra $10 I spent. They pick only the best, while I usually have to pick through my kid's "contributions".

We came home and got all set up. Peyton was SO excited that I let her use a sharp knife to cut off the stems. You would have thought I told her she could get her ears pierced or something.

Peyton, my little doll, was such a great helper. Until she decided to make her own little recipe, which I allowed. This really made her day! Home-made Strawberry soup, stems included! It was super yummy (wink, wink) and we all had to try it, otherwise we didn't love her. Typical manipulation of a 5 year old.

One spoonful of Strawberry Soup in exchange for love and adoration for the rest of the day; I'll take it! We had the best time.

I accidentally bought WAY too many strawberries, so I am only 1/3 done, but this year's batch turned out really good! My plan in to learn how to make home made bread this summer too. (Oh, and for those of you that might get jam this year from us...don't worry, we couldn't part with Peyton's jam......we will be keeping that all here.)

These little girls. They are just so fun together....most of the time. They ADORE each other. Every night, Peyton goes to bed first, then Morgan. So last night I put Morgan down in her crib with Peyton snoring away.

When Will came home and popped in to see the kids one last time (as we do every night) he couldn't find Morgan in her crib. She had crawled out and crawled into bed with Peyton!! It was so sweet! I wonder if this will start happening more and more. (Note: load in diaper, doll in hand.)

And Deaven.......he is such the little reader these days, but with a perfect balance of playing and engaging with the rest of the family. It's just nice to have a young kid appreciate books and QUIET time, and I am hoping this will make the school years easier has he comes home with more and more reading homework. He heads to Cub Camp tomorrow. He'll be loving life!
2 comments:
Oh, homemade, still-warm strawberry jam...save us a jar! Strawberry picking is on the "must-do" list for us this summer too. Love your fabulous kitchen helper and her enthusiasm.
Dude! That is so many strawberries! I swear they multiply in the car on the way home. They are SO good though. Glad you and Peyton had a good time. Looks like fun and you look like you didn't make a huge mess in the kitchen.
Post a Comment