Will got up at 5:30am this morning to finally start the big climb of Mt. Rainer. Jamee, Ben and Will have been planning and training for this for months and I think they are all just glad it's finally time to DO IT!! (I offered some perspective this morning of mothers finally getting to the pushing stage of labor......I'm sure they appreciated that).
Mt. Rainer is 14,410 ft and is the 5th tallest peak in the lower 48 states. Luckily, for the boys, one of the biggest reasons groups don't summit is because of weather issues, which will play no factor this week. The weather couldn't be better for them.
Will's pack is a little over 50 lbs (remember, they are doing this for fun!?!). That would kind of be like him giving our 8 year son a piggy back ride all the way to the top! Crazy! Today, they will climb about 6,000 feet to base camp and stay overnight and most of tomorrow to acclimate to the altitude. Thursday night, at mid-night (Friday early morning), they will begin their ascent to the top, hoping to summit by lunch time or so. They will return to base camp that afternoon and stay another night to acclimate, then head down the rest of the way to their car, and head home. We should see them again Saturday evening. The only thing that is a bummer is to not be able to hear from them on a daily basis just to check in. I'm sure they'll be fine.......but I'm a little nervous.I sent Will with a small envelope with a letter and a few pictures of the kids. They will miss him!


So any extra thoughts and prayers heading the boys way this week would be appreciated. If I get any info along the way, I'll pass it on. I promise Montye and Carol!As for me and my house......we are heading out to the lake to hang with Dennese (Jamee's wife) and her kids. I'm sure we will be able to muster up some fun of our own. We'll head back in Friday night.........blog to ya then!
3 comments:
Good luck to the men folk. And have fun at the lake. Can't wait to hear all about it!
Wow....I'm so impressed with the guys. I can't wait to see pictures and hear about it. Have fun at the lake.
Best of luck...climb smart! :) We're very excited for you.
Post a Comment