This past weekend I traveled to southern California to visit my grandparents on my Mom's side. They have been a huge part of my life and I have always been especially close to my grandmother.It was a great chance to take care of them for a few days. My grandfather doesn't walk anymore and my grandmother's mind is starting to go a bit. I felt like I was able to be a huge help for just a couple of days and I really enjoyed hearing again all the wonderful family stories.
My grandma taught me how to play cards when I was really young. It's always been our "thing" and we had lots of fun playing again together.
My grandparents are such great people, and I love them very, very much. I hope I get the chance to see them again.While I was there, my Aunt also took me to a place called Malibu Creek Canyon, where we hiked 4 miles. I didn't take me camera because we were hiking/bouldering/rock climbing around a ton of water, but here are a few pics of the area. It was super beautiful and I have never seen rocks with such natural hand holds for climbing. We saw a few other girls fall in in a few places but we managed through it dry!
Walking down a creek for miles, climbing over huge boulders and charting your own course is right up my alley. I can't wait to take Will there someday.
The picture below just shows the actual canyon from a distance.
A few weeks back Deaven went to Fort Stevens in Oregon with his good friend Forrest's family.
I had to include this video because believe or not, it rained the WHOLE time I was in California. Kind of ironic don't you think. Especially when today in WA it was like 70 degrees and beautiful. There was such a bad storm the day I left that my plane got delayed after it was hit by LIGHTNING. Hmmm......nothing like a good lightning bolt to make you feel secure before you fly. :)All things said though, I was very grateful to Will for supporting my trip and taking care of the kids. It's amazing what just a little space can do for me. Taking away the constant demands of motherhood/wifehood opened my mind and heart to a million things I needed a fresh perspective on.
The biggest impression I received was that I need to be more AVAILABLE. Of course, I am physically here with my kids and husbands all the time, but that is a very different thing than being emotional available......which I am often not. At times, my kids will come to me asking for my attention, and I now realize that if they are doing that, there are a million more times that they AREN'T but are wanting and needing it.
And with Will, well, I am crazy about the man and he is absolutely my best friend.....but somehow I know I am not conveying that very well. Too often I am distracted, busy or guarded for a multitude of reasons but the reality is I need to be more available to the ones I love most. That's the plan.
Plus, I could definitely be more available to the Lord and his whisperings. I've SEEN what the Lord does to get people's attention and frankly, I don't want Him to have to do that to me.
Anyway, feeling very blessed for a few days away to fill up my bucket and then get back in the trenches.
2 comments:
Great photos, girl! You really live in your life. Kudos. :)
It's so nice you and Will made the plans and time for this trip for you. It's great to see your photos with G&G Cusworth. They are everything you say they are.
I've never been to Malibu Canyon and it certainly looks great. Hurrah for Nellie taking you there!
Hurrah for getting away once in a while to see your life from the 30,000 ft level... even if it gets struck by lightning before the return flight... a reminder from the Lord to remember these things?
Dad
Post a Comment