Family

Family

Sunday, June 14, 2009

Bathrooms, Graduations, Temples and Prayer

Will has been waiting on pushing forward on the bathroom, as we had not TOTALLY decided what we wanted to do. However, we knew the next step would be texturing the walls, which Will did on Friday. After busting out some bathroom tile, this is what our bathroom looks like now.
I have a feeling at this point, we will push ahead and get this done sooner verses later.....now that it looks like this. Awesome getting the pink tiles out though!

Then Saturday we headed down to Salem to spend the day with my brother Taylor as he graduated with his Associates Degree. VERY proud of him!!
We had lunch at a favorite Mexican place.......that unfortunately no longer was very good.
But you can't go wrong with a Virgin-Pina Colada!
Just before the ceremony.....Taylor received a few awards that were pretty impressive, but didn't come as a big surprise. He is a great guy and really made a difference at the school while he was there.
Congrats Taylor! We love you and can't wait to be at your next BIG thing!
Quick good-bye hug with Grandpa!
On the way back up, we stopped at the Portland, OR temple, which was where Will and I got married (almost 10 years ago). The Portland Temple is BEAUTIFUL, and is a little different than the Seattle one in that there is a pretty big area in the entrance of the temple (inside) that non-members and children can go inside and feel of the incredible, peaceful spirit that is there (for those reading this that are not members of our church, you must live by certain worthiness standards to be able to go inside most parts of the temple to preserve the sacredness of it. Such things as honesty, having a testimony of Christ, paying tithing, not drinking, etc are required to enter most portions of the temple).
The grounds are so beautiful too.
This picture would have made a pretty great family picture if Morgan wasn't.....well, whatever it is she is doing if you look closely at her face.
The kids enjoyed being there. I am really glad we stopped.

Okay, I just love this picture of the kids, looking up at the temple. Gosh, I love being a parent, and seeing your kids learn and grow. They are such great kids.
It was a great day. Today, we went to church as usual, and while we were talking about Prayer in Relief Society (the meeting with just the women), an analogy hit me regarding prayer. We were talking about how simple the concept is......want to feel more peace? Pray. Want to have courage to do something you are fearful of? Pray. Yet, we so often don't utilize that personal time with the Lord like we should.

Then I thought of when my 2 year old stands in front of the fridge and goes, "Uh!" "Uh!" "Uh!" over and over again.....wanting something. Needing something. I'll often go over to her and say, "Use your words". If she doesn't, I'll walk away for awhile, and we go through this a few times until we get the, "Milk, please" out of her.

That got me thinking, now granted, when I want or need something in my life, I don't typical walk aimlessly around saying, "Uh! Uh"! (unless chocolate is involved). But I might do that in the form of complaining to friends, my husband, even my children, maybe pouting a little.....instead of going to the Lord in prayer, and using my words.

"Ask, and ye shall receive. Knock and it shall be open unto you".

I think what the Lord would have liked have said was maybe, "No whining. Use your words."

Once again, out of the mouths of babes.....I slowly start to learn some of the lessons of God.

8 comments:

Natalie said...

"Use your polite words" is the big catchphrase in our house. It;s amazing how much slowing down and saying please empowers and calm our kids.

The photo of the kids looking up at the temple is AWESOME. In every sense of the word. I kinda like the one before too. The "will you pleeeease stop making us pose for photos" one. And that's what Will looks like he's saying, let alone the kids.

Congrats on the lack of pink tiles! I know they drove you batty. :)

Anonymous said...

That bathroom looks like an awesome remodel. It always seems like forever to finish a project, but after a while you won't remember the waiting and frustration, you'll just have an fabulous space to enjoy. I'd love to borrow that book by the way!

Katie said...

Looks like a fun and busy weekend! Did you eat at La Hacienda...I haven't been there in forever...too bad it's not very good anymore. I love that last picture of your kids looking at the temple-so sweet!

5Youngers said...

Love the temple pics. Thanks for the prayer inspiration.... I loved your analogy.

neecy said...

Holy cow! The temple pic gives my chills. Absolutely priceless. Too bad Morgan wasn't in it. Maybe you could just put the one with her on the toilet right next to it for a complete shot of the three kids :) I'm so glad your weekend was a good experience. Possibly it will be a new beginning...

jess said...

great post! i love that picture with your family and taylor...great colors! good thought with the prayer lesson. hope you're doing well!

The Woolf Pack said...

So true, it is sometimes the most simple that we neglect. Your temple pictures are great. You should hang those in your house.

I'm excited to see your finished bathroom.

Taylor said...

Hey Chey its Taylor. I love all the photos! The black and white of the biking and I also thought the temple of the kids looking upward was symbolic. Very cool. I enjoy your blog too much and should get to my own. Love ya!